[THIN] Re: Redirecting My Documents via the Registry

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <neil.braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:54:42 -0000

I redirect My Documents to a folder called "My Documents" (%HOMESHARE%\My
Documents) in the users (networked) home directory (which is mapped as H:).

I then configure all apps to use this folder as their default location. So
when the user sees My Documents on the desktop, or wherever else, it's a
folder, intuitively named, My Documents in their home directory. And when
they use apps and click on file save, or new, that's where it looks.

As an aside, I "tune" 'send to', to only include My Documents and Mail
recipient.

For me, it seems an ideal, because it seems an intuitive thing for users -
prior to this, in NT4 TSE environments, I didn't use My Documents, just h:\.

Did you use regmon to establish the class structure? Or were you surfing the
registry and looking for redirected / policy stuff in HKCU?

I'm not sure I have an easy answer. I suspect the method you're attempting
may be tricky, and unreliable - if you truly have to remove the my
documents, it may be a worthwhile effort - but as I think you've
established, it is not fully robust, and possibly won't be, unless you've
got some details to look at. However, from what you've said, I think you'd
be better served by redirecting My Documents, comprehensively.

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,