[THIN] Re: Rebooting Win2k Terminal servers

  • From: DMelczer@xxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:08:28 -0400

Neil-

You say:

"There is nothing new under the sun, here.

Merely botched assertions that it's *all* down to either Microsoft, or their
OS. IMO, it's no more so, than for other countless vendors both before and
after them."

If you read my last comment the way it was intended, I agree with you
100%...both the OS vendor as well as the Application vendor can do better
jobs to provide stability.

MS OS and apps leak -- a valid assertion under certain conditions.  Some do,
some don't.
Other OS and Vendor apps leak -- again, a valid assertion only under certain
circumstances.  Some do, some don't.

However, combine the two and you've got an administrator's nightmare...and
this is in effect what the Windows OS and it's collection of apps has become
more often than not, in my opinion.

I don't think any of this is a "botched assertion" as you say...yes MS can
do some things better.  Their ring structure for the NT4 kernel was
terrible...but look at Windows 2000, XP, or 2003...they've improved the code
as they should have done for their customers.  And yes, vendors can also do
things better.  When there's a problem, fix it.  Again, take a look at HP --
they discovered their code crashed NT4 TS boxes.  And, for the most part,
they've now fixed their older drivers to run under NT4, and all of their new
2000 drivers work fine from my experience.

Again, my point was simply that it isn't a Microsoft problem OR a vendor
problem.  Rather, that it's BOTH simultaneously.  Those who have experienced
more problems tend to become a little more jaded than the rest of us.  I
still don't mind using MS products, even with their security risks and
occasional stability issues.  They're better than anything else out there
right now (again, in my opinion only).  Someone who's vendor won't cooperate
and whose software causes their NT4 Server to crash 5 times a day might
disagree with me.  Again, que sera sera.  Blame MS for not gracefully
trapping the errant code, or blame the vendor for the errant code.  6 of
one, half-dozen of the other.

And, just for the record, I'd also throw hardware vendors into the mix as
well.  Sometimes (and I had this happen just recently with a vendor who will
remain nameless -- check the archives on TheThin.net if you're interested) a
poorly coded SCSI array bios crashes the box as well, even though the vendor
swears there is nothing wrong with their code.  Upgrade the BIOS and the
problem goes away...hmmm...again, another stability issue not OS related
that could be avoided.

What it all boils down to is to debug your friggin' code.  Regardless of
what you are developing for:  hardware vendor, app vendor, or OS vendor.  An
ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...isn't that the adage?

Okay, now I'm up to $0.04, and I wasn't even going to reply to this
thread...oh well.  Glad my servers are stable for now (knock on wood) so I
have time to do this!  ;-)

-Dave Melczer
dmelczer@xxxxxxxx