[THIN] Re: Rebooting Win2k Terminal servers

  • From: "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:10:41 -0500

Tim,

We ran into a similar problem with a Terminal Server installed at a
client.  They installed an AS/400 emulation program which really messed
with the server.  When rebooting, it would hang on a flashing DOS
cursor.  Never reboot, it would just sit there staring at me...making
fun of me.  Anyways, the solution was simple...we removed the problem
application and the server was much happier after that.  This
application also made it so after of a couple days of uptime, Internet
Explorer would just stop working.  The world would spin in the corner
but no page or error would ever appear.  Netscape, on the same machine,
would work fine after this problem started.  Therefore, it is most
likely some application that has been loaded on the particular server if
it can't reboot properly.  It might also be a flaky device driver that
is causing the system to become unstable at shutdown.

As far as your reply, I agree with you.  I was, with the exchange
comment, only trying to make the point that all apps leak and the MS
OS's are extremely suseptable to poorly written apps.  Thanks for
letting me continuely hop on my soap box.

Respectfully,

Lucas W. Boyken
Computer Systems Associates
Account Manager / Technical Representative
lboyken@xxxxxxxxx
Company Phone:  800.222.7601
Office Phone:  515.332.2751