[THIN] Re: Rebooting Win2k Terminal servers

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:50:02 -0400

I'll give you two reasons, one that everyone knows, and one that is not
as well known. The well known one is that if you have any software that
leaks memory on the server, if you do not reboot that software will
eventually grow in memory consumption until it uses all of the virtual
memory in the machine and then will cause the machine to hang.

The not so well known one is that when a user enters and then exits an
application, not all of the resources that the applications consumed
while running are released upon exist. This is true for every Win32
application running on every NT class OS. In other words if you load an
application and then exit it, there will be less memory available after
you exit it then their was before you loaded the application.

Cheers,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software