[THIN] Re: Read Data from Scale connected to PC via com port

  • From: "Sanders, Robert (GE Energy)" <robert.sanders@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Velkov Stojanco" <svelkov@xxxxxxxxx>, <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:07:07 -0400

IN our environment we have installed a port control software that called CommX
from Greenleaf software , http://www.greenleafsoft.com/commx/commxInfo1.asp .
Works real well and easy. Here's a sample of our code:
DEFINE OUTPUT PARAMETER p-weight AS CHAR.

DEF VAR myport AS COM-HANDLE.
DEF VAR my2 AS COM-HANDLE.

DEF VAR retval AS INT.
DEF VAR sendstring AS CHAR.
DEF VAR readstring AS CHAR.

CREATE "portctl.portctl.1" myport.

myport:portnumber = "1".
myport:baudrate() = "9600".
myport:parity() = "2".
myport:databits() = "7".
myport:stopbits() = "0".
myport:xonxoff() = "1".

retval = myport:open.

IF retval < 0 THEN DO:
    MESSAGE "Unable to communicate with scale!" VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX TITLE
"Communication Error".
END.
ELSE DO:
    myport:writestring("W").
    readstring = myport:readstringtimed("6", "2000").
END.

ASSIGN p-weight = SUBSTRING(readstring,2,4).

myport:close.

Hope that helps