[THIN] Re: RTO's Tscale vs Aurema's ARMTech shootout

Hi Eric,

TScale has two features:

1. Application Optimization (which itself consists of four separate =
optimizations). The principle one of these optimizations, which we call =
the VM Capacity optimization, reduces the amount of Virtual Memory that =
each optimized process uses. This allows for more concurrent users of =
the optimized applications, and better performance during peak load =
periods. This feature is completely out of the box. You install TScale, =
an Analysis Service finds things that need optimization, and a scheduled =
optimization task that runs at 3 AM implements the optimizations. You =
start getting the benefits of the optimizations the day after the first =
optimization session runs.
2. Applications Shaping. This is a new feature of TScale that does CPU =
management of rogue instances of applications. So, if you have processes =
that go rogue on the server, you simple set up a rule that says. "If and =
Instance of iexplore.exe uses more that 40% of CPU for 20 seconds apply =
Application Shaping". What this will do is stop the rogue instance from =
stealing CPU cycles from every other process, and give it what is left =
over after all of the other processes have taken what they need.

In comparison to Aurema, let me offer the following. Aurema does not =
have any of the features that TScale has in the first category. It has =
no features that actually cause applications to take less virtual =
memory. Aurema does have CPU management features, and you accurately =
characterize them as features for setting CPU quotas. What you can do =
with Aurema is set quotas for processes so that all instances of a =
process are always held below a certain number. This is different from =
the rogue instance management that TScale does in the sense that it =
punishes the innocent in the name of preventing the guilty from causing =
harm.

I will get you some more information off list.

Best Regards,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software, Inc.