[THIN] Re: RDP vs. ICA -

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:30:20 -0700

Hi John,

This is a hot, I would say explosive subject.

To be fair, you should give your management information not about which protocol is better (faster, lower latency, higher compression, more features, etc.), but what business objectives are met by delivering applications via MetaFrame or pure Terminal Services.

There is much more to it versus what the end user can see.

Ultimately load balancing, seamless nature of application delivery, firewall traversal with Citrix Secure Gateway and NFuse with strong authentication (not just encryption!!) highlight the need for ICA.

If your search this group you will find the latest, i.e. 2002, "benchmarks" for ICA, RDP + SUN, AT&T, etc. thin client connectivity. Although these papers might be helpful to get something on the table for the management, they are not very impressive and are always outdated.

So, unless this is a formality, look at the big picture.

ALEX

From: John Twilley <John.Twilley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] RDP vs. ICA - Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:13:59 -0400

Upper-Management would like me to provide information regarding RDP 5.x vs.
ICA.
I have scouted around and found OLD documents, but I am coming up dry on new
comparisons...

Has anyone been down this road?
I would love to hear how you handled defending Citrix Metaframe...assuming
you did.

What I've found:

http://www.thinplanet.com/opinion/Protocols.asp old - 1999

http://www.stiv.com/ncd/comp/benchresults.htm Thin Client Stats

http://www.stiv.com/ncd/comp/rdp4v5.htm  RDP vs ICA  (Early release of RDP
5)

One of the major digs against RDP so far is LOAD Balancing.  Microsoft's
implementation of load balancing is scary.
i.e. glorified round-robin DNS

Thanks,

John Twilley Catalina Marketing

=================================== This weeks Sponsor: triCerat, Inc ScrewDrivers fxp: Self Configuring Printer Driver with Bandwidth Control Learn more at: http://www.tricerat.com/?page=products&product=sdfxp