[THIN] Published app and Virtualisation

  • From: "Berny Stapleton" <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:21:08 +0100

Hey all,

I have a question..

I know what the plusses and minuses are for virtualisation of applications,
such as softgrid / tarpon etc, but I am just trying to figure out how many
people are actually doing it?

At a previous job, I helped with a roll out of softgrid on their Citrix
environment, their reasoning was application versioning and the dependencies
it had on oracle client versions, they wanted to run both side by side, so
it was a good fit for them.

I have a couple of small Citrix farms that I have put in as it at my current
work place as it was the right tool for the job. As yet though, I haven't
come up with a great reason to do application virtualisation, it just
doesn't suit our environment at this point in time.

Someone mentioned the other day on list that a lot of Citrix's income is
still from published app, so I am wondering how many people out there are
actually running both.

Just to clarify, what I am talking about it app virtualisation, running a
hypervisor / virtualisation layer on the Citrix server for application
virtualisation, not virtualisation of the entire Citrix server such as
running Citrix under VMware.

Thanks,

Berny