[THIN] Re: Profiles on Citrix

  • From: Toby <toby.percival@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:23:46 +0100

Thanks Michael, I will try the same. Anything to improve the mood of our
beloved users!

T.

On 5/18/07, Michael Pardee <pardeemp.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We've been testing Tricerat's Simplify Profiles product and just ran in to
the same issue with the Internet Explorer Branding policy.  What we've
noticed is that it may have something to do with the mandatory profile that
we are using.  It was built from a system with IE, moved to a common network
share, and then locked down via permissions.  Just for grins I copied that
mandatory profile to a test share and applied it to a few of us that are
testing.  I then opened up the permissions to see if that made any
difference and the "branding..." part of the logon process flew by in a
second or two.  Haven't had a lot of time to go back and figure all of this
out yet, but I'm going to see if we can figure out what pieces need updated
in our mandatory profile for IE7, make the changes, and then lock the
profile down again.

Not sure if this is the same thing that is slowing you down, but it is
what seems to be causing it in our environment.  Thanks for reminding me
that I need to dig in to this one again.

------------------------------
*From: *Toby <toby.percival@xxxxxxxxx>
*Date: *Fri, 18 May 2007 10:38:33 +0100
*To: *<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Subject: *[THIN] Re: Profiles on Citrix

45 seconds is a long time. In fact, I have just timed logging in from a
client pc, using a mandatory profile, located on the DC, and it took 57
seconds. I repeated the same test on multiple servers, and the time averaged
59 seconds.

0-7 seconds - applying personal settings, registry settings
8-40 seconds - applying internet explorer branding policy
40-42 - applying personal settings
43 - 59 secs - applying login scripts

System is PS4.5, Windows 2003 Server SP2, with IE7.

I believe IE7 is responsible for slowing the time down by 15 seconds or
more. I will investigate how I can improve the load time of the 'internet
explorer branding policy'.

On 5/18/07, *Angus Macdonald* <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's hard to say with any certainty. Presumably your mandatory profile is
being dragged from a network location whereas our defaults are stored
locally on each server. Conversely, the flex profile loading takes a finite
amount of time. I wouldn't imagine you'd see a great performance increase
with flex profiles. 45 secs sounds like a lot of time though. Can you guess
how much of that is profile loading and processing? In my (not considerable)
experience, all sorts of things can slow logins.

*From:* thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx