[THIN] Re: Printers

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:01:17 +0100

Which version of Office are you talking about?

Using Office XP, I can invoke the find printer dialogue from the print
menu - that allows AD to be searched for printers.

Doing anything more prescriptive, and you'd have to (likely) embed code
- which is still possible.

The IIS / web thing seems rather implausible - because printer
searching, and printer mapping is all client-side.

You could do this via client-side scripting, within the web interface,
but you'd either need to do complex things within the IE security model,
embed something else (activeX or some similar control), or use the HTA
model.

To be perfectly honest, I think you'd be best served by looking at the
printer search mechanism of AD - unless the subnet thing is untenable.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.