[THIN] Re: Printer Hell

  • From: "George Yobst" <george.yobst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:06:09 -0800

Hi Mike,
I'm still going thru printer hell as well, and have tracked one problem
down to a Policy change in the CMC (and I didn't do it), so check that.
For some unknown reason, the printer in the OU group it was assigned
to got changed to the next group down the list (no way I would have done
it).
Printer issues seem to be almost monopilizing my time lately, so good luck!
-George

On 2/2/07, Mike MacDonald <mike5287@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know I am not the first one here to be in printer hell, but recently
things have taken a turn for the worse. Something changed that caused
drivers to get loaded on our W2K/PS4 servers from clients. This even though
driver installation was restricted to administrators, only allowed from a
single trusted source and our PS4 policies said that client printers would
only use native drivers if they were available.  Long story short is all of
a sudden drivers started installing - we got up to 135 drivers on each of
the 20 servers in the farm. Along with the high number of drivers we started
having frequent spool service/Citrix Print service hangs or crashes which
has resulted in logon delays as printers try to get connected at logon.

Currently I am going through each server and eliminating unneeded drivers.
I was able to go from 135 down to 53 drivers per server. Still too many, but
there are that many different models of network printers here. I also
renamed the ntprint.inf to make sure no additional drivers got installed
without me putting them there. After I get rid of the extra drivers I am
going to go through the remaining drivers on the print server and the Citrix
servers to make sure they are compatible. If they are not I will change the
driver used for the device to one that is compatible.

One last bit of background is that we use a mix of client printers and
network printers that logon scripts connect users to at logon and most users
connect to a published desktop from thin-clients or via the Web Interface.

I guess I am looking for any suggestions on how to get out of printer
hell. I am ready to build new servers running W2K3/PS4 but don't want to
move the same problems forward to the new servers. I also feel I must be
doing something wrong related to the Citrix Print Service because I can
restart it and the spool service then instantly try to stop it and it won't
stop  - has to be killed. Is there something else I should be doing or has
anyone had similair issues, and what was done to correct the problems. I am
going to go through cleaning up drivers as mentioned, but if I need to do
something else I am all ears!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance!

-Mike MacDonald

George Yobst, Library Technology Analyst        phone: 503.723.4890
Library Information Network of Clackamas County   fax: 503.794.8238
16239 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Suite 208         web: http://www.lincc.lib.or.us
Oak Grove, OR 97267-4654                  email: george.yobst@xxxxxxxxx
"...it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn
what he thinks he already knows."  - Epictetus