[THIN] Re: Presentation Server 4.5 Release Date

  • From: Michael Pardee <pardeemp.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:53:45 -0500

And that is kind of my argument Mark ­ what¹s the point?  One of the reasons
you move to x64 is to have access to more memory, but they still force you
to the Enterprise edition to really take proper advantage of it.  The kernel
has higher memory requirements for x64, right?  So we¹re already behind the
8 ball with ram unless we add more memory.  In the end it¹s the same as it¹s
always been ­ Microsoft will always get paid.

I have close to 300 Windows2003 Standard Edition Citrix servers, so an
upgrade to support more memory could add up quickly.  I¹ll need to run the
numbers of doing this along with a 4GB memory upgrade to get the systems to
8GB (with no guarantee that I will double the amount of users on the same
hardware) versus just adding more hardware and staying 32 bit for now.

From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:51:15 -0600
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Conversation: [THIN] Re: Presentation Server 4.5 Release Date
Subject: [THIN] Re: Presentation Server 4.5 Release Date

So I wonder what the market is for 64-bit Windows 2003 Server R2 Standard
Edition. Sounds like it's just wasting those 32 extra bits.