[THIN] Re: Port/box Security

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:04:35 +1200

  Let's say you did see the login prompt, either via ICA or RDP. How would
you use a dictionary attack if you didn't have a username and a password
hash? Or, maybe what I'm asking is, how would that help you get a username
and a password hash which you could use a dictionary/brute force attack on?
  You know me - when it comes to paranoia, I'm up there with the worst of
them, but I'm not sure how getting a windows login screen hurts you. Unless
that specific situation can somehow be used to get a username and password
hash, I don't see the danger (unless there's a protocol vulnerability that
can be exploited, in which case WI/CSG insulates you from it).
  As an aside, and to illustrate how many companies do this, consider this:
One of my customers moved physical locations, and his ISP changed his IP
address. I didn't know the new IP addresses of his Terminal Server and
couldn't reach the administrator. I figured it might be close to his old
address, so I port-scanned 253 IP addresses looking for port 3389. I found
about 60 servers, so there are a lot of people doing this.

JD