[THIN] Re: Permissions

  • From: "Steve Raffensberger" <sraffens1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:44:05 -0500

Nick,

I'd like to expand on Jay's response and give you an alternative in answer
to your other question.

First, if you are using W2KSP4, another new, applicable AD entry shows up.
It essentially tells the login process to refrain from demanding that the
user own the roaming profile. That can stop it from being so picky when you
take ownership.

Second, someone on this list gave me a good hint a few years ago about temp
folder permissions which transfers nicely to roaming profile permissions. I
set permissions on the folder that contains the roaming profiles once and it
takes care of the rest. Here's how.
Set Domain Admins Full Control
Set System Full Control
Set Creator/Owner Full Control
Set Domain Users Read
Finally, in Advanced, change Domain Users from Read to Special by giving
them capability to create folders.

Now, each user can create their own Roaming profile without having Full
Control of the folder that holds them. When they do, they inherit the
permissions, giving them Full Control over their own profile because they
are the creator. The AD setting that Jay mentions allows the Administrators
access too.

HTH,

Raff