[THIN] Re: Page file max out

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:48:01 +1000

Hi Pavlo,

Interesting application mix.

We can probably exclude MSoffice (with Access) and Acrobat and IE. Great Plains
is probably okay (except for disabling oplocks). I gues Staffright and
Accuterm97 would likely be the most promising possibilities but it's basically
a case of finding out what applications (if any) are showing excesive pagefault
activity.

Paging is a normal housekeeping function and the (Microsoft) operating system
will page long term inactive processes (and their DLLs) out of memory
regardless of the amount of free memory. The more processes you have, and the
bigger their memory footprint, the more paging you will see.

It doesn't matter how fast your CPU and memory are if the limiting factor is
paging to a much slower disk subsystem. This is why products like TScale etc
are so effective. By allowing most DLLs to be used as shared code, the
per-process memory footprint is greatly reduced, as is the amount of paging.

Anyway, "destructive" paging (system gets so slow its unuseable!) or swapping
generally only occurs when you've run out of physical memory so what you're
seeing there is kind of unusual. I'd normally look at everything memory-wise
(in perfmon) just to try and get a handle on what's going on.

But initially you're looking for an application or system process with a very
high fault rate. Could be any number of things from there, but that's a start.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems