[THIN] Re: Page file max out

  • From: "Pavlo Ignatusha" <pignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:33:08 -0500

Tim,

Thanks for keeping this thread up. I was away for a few days and after was
collecting some more data about my troubled servers

When I mention Page Swaps I referred to the CMC Advanced Load Evaluator that
uses Page Swaps as 1 of the criterias. When I go to look at Load manager
monitor in CMC I would see Page Swaps 100% with CPU and Memory not exceeding
20-30%

All my citix servers are W2K Standard Server SP4 with Citrix XPa FR3/SP3

At least on 1 server when it was in trouble "Total Commit Charge" exceeded
"Total Memory counter. On the others they are pretty close but still "Total
Commit Charge" is lower by 15-25 Mb. The only exception is that third server
with 4Gb and HT enabled that "Total Memory" is 1.5Gb higher then "Total
Commit Charge".

When servers are in OK shape "Memory:Pages/Sec" averages about 20.000 with
occasional spikes up to 200.000 pages

When the trouble is there "Memory:Pages/Sec" averages over 100.000 with
spikes up to 800.000 pages

I noticed that when in trouble I have about 140 users spread over these 3
servers (From licensing in CMC). We are published application shop so 1 user
may have sessions with few servers as a result of load balancing. This mean
that I may have 50-60 user sessions on each server. Most of our users my be
considered as heavy users. Does this indicates I need another server?

I've been reading the thread and I would like to point out I only have 1
server out of 3 that can use HT (and has it on). This server behaves in CMC
just the same as others (despite having 2 times memory (4Gb instead of 2Gb)
and faster CPU). The memory on it used only a little more then 2Gb.

Thanks,

Pavlo Ignatusha
Systems Network Coordinator
Pembroke General Hospital
Tel. (613) 732-3675 ext.6150
Fax. (613) 732-9986
www.pemgenhos.org

"All that matters is love and work" - Sigmund Freud.