[THIN] Re: Page file max out

  • From: Bob <bobmails@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:25:39 -0500

Steve,

I walked into an environment with an existing TS/Citrix farm on
Win2k/SP3 and hyperthreading was enabled.  I tracked the performance
for about 45 days and although the affinity wasn't perfect, the
overall stability and performance were good.  Approaching a
high-volume period, I didn't want to take any chances on stability and
disabled hyperthreading.  The last thing I needed was for a server to
freeze if a "virtual" cpu got pegged.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have left the hyperthreading
alone.  I encountered heightened cpu contention afterwards.  Stability
can only be disproven, not proven, so I can't say if I dodged any
bullets.  I have enough servers that I could have absorbed a crash of
a machine.  In retrospect, I should have waited for a problem to
appear before disabling hyperthreading.

2 cents,
Bob
This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint, GmbH