[THIN] Re: PDF Writing on TS2003

  • From: Matthew Harris <Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:02:23 -0700

Just thought I'd post some stuff that I've discovered lately...

I read from a posting on the Adobe forums that the Acrotray.exe needs to be
running since that TSR is the thing that let's the PDF creation occur.  I
think that the acrotray.exe process calls the acrobat distiller
(acrodist.exe) process, which in turn creates the PDF.  From the Acrobat
forums, it was said that if Adobe made the acrotray.exe into a service then
things would work right.

As a proof of concept, I used the scheduling service within Windows 2003 to
load the acrotray.exe process into the system context.  I used the
following command to do this...

at hh:mm /interactive "c:\program files\adobe\acrobat
6.0\distillr\acrotray.exe"

...where hh:mm is the hour and time when you want the process to be
started.  For me, I just set the hh:mm to be one minute from now, so the
acrotray process would start immediately.  After watching the task manager
to make sure the acrotray.exe process started  and was owned by the system,
I then created a PDF.  Presto!  I didn't receive any errors or lockups, and
I then received a prompt, within my session(!), that the PDF was created
properly.

I was NOT logged in at the console and the above was all done through a
terminal services session.  I was able to do this multiple times without
failure.

Hope this helps.  I'm planning on rolling out Windows 2003 for my own users
and this was a major stumbling block for myself as well.  I'm planning on
writing this up on my website for others to check out...

-M
http://terminal.servebeer.com

Starting at $199!
http://www.neoware.com