[THIN] Re: PDF Writing on TS2003

  • From: Phil Smith <psmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:23:22 -0400

Linux box that has a shared printer device that spools to ghostwriter.

Users attach to it as a regular printer and then print from any application
to pdf.  0 Licensing fees and if you already have a linux box there it is a
very small amount of resources when it prints.  No resources needed on the
TS.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/bright.html

in my Samba config changed the following line to
        print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %U %s

and modified the printpdf script to read
#!/bin/sh

# Simple script to convert a specified postscript file into a PDF document
# and place it in a location that is shared by the Samba server.
#
# Arguments:
#  1st - Username
#  2nd - The name of the spool file
#
# John Bright, 2001, jbright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# We will create the pdf into a temporary file based upon the current date
and time.
# After we are finished, we'll rename it to a file with the same date, but
ending
# in .pdf.  We do this because if a user tries to open a PDF that is still
being written,
# they will get a message that it is corrupt, when it is actually just not
done yet.

DATE=`date +%b%d-%H%M%S`

# Directory in which to place the output
# Be sure this directory exists and is writable by the user that Samba
# is running as (for example, the nobody user)
OUTDIR=/home/pdf

# creates directory based on user's logon and sets
# permissions to where only that user has access to their pdf files.
mkdir $OUTDIR/$1
chmod -Rf 700 $OUTDIR/$1

ps2pdf $2 $OUTDIR/$1/$1-$DATE.temp
mv $OUTDIR/$1/$1-$DATE.temp $OUTDIR/$1/$1-$DATE.pdf
chmod 700 $OUTDIR/$1/$1-$DATE.pdf
rm $2

With your linux box a member of your NT domain this will create a dir for
each username and put NT security on the dir so that only that user has
access to their pdf file.  It is beautiful {tear to eye}