[THIN] Re: PCL5e or PCL6 printer drivers

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:05:04 +0000

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:18:50 -0800, Douglas A. Brown <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As we already see from this thread PCL5 it is popular to say stay with
> PCL5 but why?

PCL5 drivers for our HP8100 kept crashing one of our tax apps when
making a certain report. Only when the network printers were set as
default (any of them!) would it crash, use a local/client printer and
it was fine.. No idea why, neither did the developers, but changing to
PCL6 drivers for the 8100 has fixed it. However a couple of users have
had "out of memory" errors when printing large docs (actually, its
only been excel so far, hmm..) to that printer. If you go to
properties from the print dialogue, it draws the screen with about 75%
of the options missing, then the app crashes! Close all the exe's and
it works again - very wierd!

Andrew
http://www.seamlessplanet.com