[THIN] Re: Opteron processors

  • From: "Schill, Mark" <Mark.Schill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:27:35 -0500

In our recent Intel roadmap session Intel stated that in the 2006-2008
(don't quote me on the dates) they are planning to make the IA64 the
standard processor architecture. Apparently that is when the 64 bit and
32 bit processors will be price comparable.

Mark E. Schill, CCA
BellSouth Technology Group
From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
=3D3D =3D
=3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D Behalf Of Brian Madden
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:26 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=3D20

Good news! In the case of 64-bit Windows, all those components =3D3D3D3D
(profiles, printers, shares, etc, etc) have also been compiled for =3D3D
64-b=3D
it
since =3D3D3D3D they're part of the OS.

About a year ago I did a fairly large rollout of pure Windows 2003
=3D3D3D3D
Terminal Services on Itanium boxes (with the 64-bit version of Windows
=3D3D
2003
for Itanium).

Like I said before, MetaFrame itself did NOT work. However, all of the
Windows components worked great. AD, GPOs, profiles, home drives, etc,
=3D3D =3D
=3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D etc, were flawless. In fact, users didn't even know their =
remote
TS=3D
 =3D3D
sessions =3D3D3D3D were running on a 64-bit OS.

All of the "standard" windows stuff, system variables, system32 folder,
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D IE, temp folders, etc, etc are the same. Logon scripts,
kitxtart...
all =3D3D that stuff works fine in production on Itanium-based 64-bit
Windows
2003 =3D3D =3D3D3D3D Terminal Servers.

I don't think that our whole TS world is going to instantly shift to =
=3D3D
=3D
=3D3D3D3D
64-bit. However, for those people who have large servers who are
experiencing =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D PTE limits, etc, Opteron is going to be =
hella
=3D
=3D3D cool!

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=3D20
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable =
=3D3D
=3D
=3D3D3D3D
videos, and product reviews.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
=3D3D =3D
=3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D Behalf Of Brian Madden
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:00 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=3D20

Yeah, everyone was skeptical of this, but it seems to be true. ("It" =
=3D3D
=3D
=3D3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D3D being that 32-bit apps really do run as fast on a 64-bit =
OS
on
Opteron =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D as they =3D3D3D3D3D3D do on a "regular" 32-bit =
=3D3D
processor/OS.) I
won't post a link =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D here since =3D3D3D3D3D3D it'll get
mangled.. =3D
=3D3D Just
do a Google search for Opteron 64 =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D bit performance and
you'll =3D
find
=3D3D tons of stuff. Ars had a great review. So =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D did =
Ace's.

64-bit Windows Server 2003 for Opteron processors is in public beta now
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D and will be released at the same time as SP1 for
Win200=3D
3.

As for testing... "Yes!" (That was my original point of this thread way
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D back
when.) I have an Opteron server on order. (It should be here next
week.) I have the beta of 64-bit Windows Server 2003 for Opteron. I have
MetaFrame. I'll post the test results as soon as they're ready.

Should be fun!

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
=3D3D =3D
=3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D Behalf Of Steve Greenberg
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 10:40 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=3D20

I accept that theoretically this is possible, I am just very skeptical
=3D3D =3D
=3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D3D3D =
that it
could a=3D
ctually
work =3D3D in practise and in =3D3D3D3D standard production =3D3D3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D=3D
3D3D3D
environments. =3D3D What is the status of 64 bit =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D =
Windows?
Would=3D
 it be
a simple enough test =3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D3D3D to get our =
hands
=3D3D=3D
3D on
=3D3D3D3D WIN 64 code and try =3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D running =3D3D3D3D3D3D =
32bit apps
on=3D
 64 bit
=3D3D3D3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D Terminal =3D3D3D3D =3D3D services?

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd. suite D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85262