[THIN] Re: Office SP3 breaks TIF and MDI extensions

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:21:19 +1100

Hi Rick

Great little utility.  Worked well..

Thanks
Ang

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:35:27 +1000
Subject: [THIN] Re: Office SP3 breaks TIF and MDI extensions
From: ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Angela,

There are 2 system commands that let you list and change server file
associations. These are:

assoc - associate file extension with file type

Example: C:\assoc .mdi
              .mdi=mdi_auto_file

ftype - associate a file type to an executable

Example: C:\ftype mdi_auto_file
              mdi_auto_file=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\OIS.EXE /shellOpen
"%1"

In this example I've got Office 2007 installed.

So if you wanted to fix the mdi file association, you'd run:

assoc .mdi=mdi_auto_file
ftype mdi_auto_file=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\OIS.EXE /shellOpen "%1"

The last command could also be:
ftype mdi_auto_file="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OIS.EXE"
/shellOpen "%1"

Doing this on a whole farm isn't too hard if you download the PSTools utilities
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896649.aspx

Copy psexec.exe to c:\windows and try something like this (it's one line):

For /f "skip=3" %i in ('qfarm /load') do psexec \\%i
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c assoc .mdi=mdi_auto_file & psexec \\%i
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c ftype
mdi_auto_file=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\OIS.EXE /shellOpen "%1"

qfarm /load generates a list of on-line servers in your farm. If we read this
list in a FOR look that skips the first 3 lines which are a title, header etc
then we have the names of all the online servers in your farm.

psexec \\servername command will execute the command on the remote server. An &
allows us to run two commands using the same variables on the same command
line. If you want to turn this command into a batch file, remember to replace
all the %i with %%i, but don't replace the %1 with a %%1.

regards,

Rick
--
Ulrich Mack
Quest Software

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I have deployed Office 2003 SP3 to our dev environment expecting it to break
certain file associations based on article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938813.  I can re-associate TIF by manually
launching MS Office document Imaging on each Citrix Server and reassociating
the extension via Tools/Options.  However it doesn't fix the MDI associations.

Is there an easy way to re-associate MDI to MS Office document Imaging for all
users?  A script that sets both would be great if one exists...

Thanks in advance
Ang

Sell your car for just $50. It's simple!

Net yourself a bargain. Find great deals on eBay.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Frover%2Eebay%2Ecom%2Frover%2F1%2F705%2D10129%2D5668%2D323%2F4%3Fid%3D10&_t=763807330&_r=hotmailTAGLINES&_m=EXT