[THIN] Re: Office 2010

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:41:07 +0100

Personally, given the interaction of office with the OS, given everyone
needs it, given its components are core to, or at least utilised by, other
apps - I'd put Office in the core build and not virtualise it at all.
There's a minor admin overhead, but the user experience is going to be
better. Virtualise the server that it's hosted on; virtualise the
application via xenapp to remote users - but not virtualise the suite
itself. Given the many ways you can quickly rebuild and re-provision a
server, why bother?

That sounds a sensible way to move the users; however - test that all the
settings they expect to move are moved properly: .nk files in outlook,
signatures, doc settings. Do not forget Access Databases - who is going to
move them and when? And, it's not unusual for some users to need to access
both environments - helpdesk, trainers, support may well need access to the
original and the new: there may well be others.

Do you have a user virtualisation solution in place at the moment? Likes of
Appsense? Res? Tricerat? They can help with managing profile changes. Sure
you can save files in an older version format - but then also remember
disable functions and features and/or inform users that some changes may be
lost when saving documents

And of course, you've sorted out the user training and given the nod to the
helpdesk because it's all different in 2010 and you're bound to get a calls
with people just plain lost.