[THIN] Re: Office 2003 Suppress User name popup

  • From: "Jeremy Saunders" <Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:16:41 +1100

Of course, it's a binary value for pre 2007 versions of Office. Silly
me!

        Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:38:54 +1100
        From: Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Hi Angela,

        I would only ever do this via a cmd, VBScript, or Kix script.
Taking care of the Company value is not a problem, but you want to
individually set the UserName to the actual user of that session. If you
do it through an ADM template, all users will have the same name, or you
need to change the REG_SZ value to a REG_EXPAND_SZ and use %USERNAME%.
Then you need to deal with the UserInitials. So how would you derive
that? Typically it's the first letter of the username. You may also be
able to change that to a REG_EXPAND_SZ and use %USERNAME:~0,+1%, which
will return the first letter of the username.

        All this is very simple to achieve with a script to ensure that
all users have personalised settings. You could also use the new GP
Preferences too.

        Not a lot of help because I don't have a script you are looking
for, but hope that helps you down the right path.

        Cheers,

        Jeremy.