[THIN] Re: OT - printing across the internet

  • From: "Jay Moock" <jmoock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:27:58 -0400

Are you able to telnet to port 515 on the JetDirect?  This is what LPR uses.

If you've switched to Standard TCP/IP, then it would be using RAW, which is
port 9100.

If you cannot, then the traffic is likely being blocked at the other end or
somewhere in the middle (some ISP's are getting picky).

In addition to LPR/LPD and RAW (9100) printing, newer JetDirects (or maybe
even just JD's with newer firmware) also support FTP and IPP printing.  I'm
not sure what IPP is, but the FTP print allows the JetDirect server to act
like a FTP server.  You FTP a file to it and it prints it out.