[THIN] Re: OT? WSH Logon Scripts

Don't get me wrong - I see nothing wrong in expanding your scripting
knowledge - it can only be a good thing.

I honestly just think on all counts, Kix is more optimal for login script
stuff - especially as you know it already.

I just think - given your scenario - it's the better choice for what you're
doing, and I think the rationale behind the change isn't suggestive that the
solution will fix.

As a general example, I mainly use Kix for login scripts - both for terminal
server environments, and normal desktops (PCs). However, for certain things,
I'll use WSH / ADSI - for example, my printing rational is based around
using the location field on the computer object, to point to an OU where the
PC's printer objects are.

So I use WSH / ADSI for that. Although later versions of Kix include a lot
of the ADSI stuff, which weren't then in Kix when I first wrote this printer
mapping script, some of the tricks I use to help this rationale work, I
suspect wouldn't work in Kix - so that's the sort of thing I would use WSH /
ADSI for in the login environment.

It just seems that for the normal type of things that login scripts do - eg
map network drives, evaluate group membership(s), map printers, copy files,
read / write to the registry - all those things are substantially easier,
and less cumbersome in Kix, than WSH / ADSI.

I'm not intending this to be an advocacy against WSH / ADSI - merely an
appropriateness thing - using it for what it's most suited for, and not
binning something that's pretty darned good for what it does (Kix).

Neil

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for
the above named recipient only. If this has come to you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
system. You must take no action based on this, nor must you copy or
disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation.

Statements and opinions contained in this email may not necessarily
represent those of Littlewoods. Please note that email communications
may be monitored.

The registered office of Littlewoods Limited and its  subsidiaries
is 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB.
Registered number of Littlewoods Limited is 262152