[THIN] Re: OT? WSH Logon Scripts

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:00:50 +0100

Comments inline.

Some of it may - but some is objective.

> I used wsh, and vbscript a lot for my adminstrative scripts.
> I used to
> write scripts in REXX when we were still using OS/2 and that NT batch
> scripting language, even with the integration of KIX, didn't
> compare. I
> just find the batch scripting really crypting, poor documented, and I
> see kix as an extension of this technology. But again this is
> based on
> personal inclination. I think that WSH scripting is much more
> powerful.

I think there's little in it, these days, comparing like-for-like versions.

> Just the fact that it is an object oriented language provide
> you so many
> possibilites with the many windows API. With a WSH you could edit
> registry,

Without WMI, in a very limited fashion.

If you do any registry writes in anger, you'll see what I mean. *WSH* has
pretty poor support for this, Kix is clearly a winner, here.

> create network connection, write e-mail, perform asset
> management inventory, update databases and so on forth.

Again, both scripting languages support this. My contention is that *in
general* they are more complex in Kix.

That's not to say they can't be done in either...

But to go full circle, the entire debate started because the OP had already
done this work in Kix, and wanted to convert to WSH.

For registry stuff alone, it's *probably* going to be problematic.

> And I guess that each language has is strenghts, and that either wsh,
> and kix should be considerate tools to get the job done.

Again, dependant on what you know best.

What I would say, though, all other things being equal, that for login
script type activities, WSH / ADSI is more complex and unwieldy, and in some
cases more lacking (given the login script context) than Kix.

Neil

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for
the above named recipient only. If this has come to you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
system. You must take no action based on this, nor must you copy or
disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation.

Statements and opinions contained in this email may not necessarily
represent those of Littlewoods. Please note that email communications
may be monitored.

The registered office of Littlewoods Limited and its  subsidiaries
is 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB.
Registered number of Littlewoods Limited is 262152