[THIN] Re: OT? WSH Logon Scripts

Comments inline...

Indeed - if you truly compare like for like, I suspect there's nothing in
it, performance wise.

> Let's say that you decided to use vbscript/ADSI for the login script.
> The resource objects are native (local) to Win2k/XP computers
> so the script, although probably a lot longer and much more
> complex would execute faster,

I'm far from convinced of that.

For Win2k machines, if you had the executable locally, I suspect there's
nothing in it, performance wise - then all you've got to be concerned about
is script complexity, suitability, and existing knowledge.

> but would have to still query
> the remote DC for account/group info.  The nice thing about
> vbscripting is that you can load much of the information that
> you would normally query a bunch of time in a couple
> dictionary objects in the script.  This greatly increases
> performance of the script.

Which Kix does by default.

> I use Kix mostly because speed is not usually a problem for
> me, since I have DC's at my remote locations...so the
> resource files are usually on the local LAN.  Personally, I
> would write it with what you know best.
> It will be cleaner and easier to troubleshoot.

Indeed.

The best scripting tool to use, is going to be down to suitability (inherent
traits of the language), and your personal knowledge levels.

Neil

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for
the above named recipient only. If this has come to you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
system. You must take no action based on this, nor must you copy or
disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation.

Statements and opinions contained in this email may not necessarily
represent those of Littlewoods. Please note that email communications
may be monitored.

The registered office of Littlewoods Limited and its  subsidiaries
is 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB.
Registered number of Littlewoods Limited is 262152