[THIN] Re: OT: VMWare setup

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:26:59 -0700

Sorry, but I don't buy that argument.  You can't make the argument for
splitting out the drives "because it's best to have the vmswap and swap file
on a separate spindle" and say you don't need heavy I/O performance.  The
vmswap and linux swap files are only used when you run out of physical
memory (over subscribing memory on the VMs (vmswap) or using too much on the
Console OS (swap)).  Keep in mind this is not a Microsoft OS that uses the
Pagefile whenever it feels like. (And if you really want dig deep, ESX also
uses a balloon driver in the guest OS to force the guest to swap pages to
disk and that doesn't touch the vmswap file).  Anyways, if you are taxing
the system to the point that you are actually using the swap and/or vmswap
file, you absolutely need the best I/O performance you can get.   6 spindles
(Raid 10) is a lot better performance than 2 (Raid 1).

By switching to Raid 10, you're not loosing any redundancy, in fact some
implementation you can lose two drives.  Compared to the Raid 1 + 5 + HS the
useable disk space is the same as a Raid 10.  In the Raid 1 + Raid 5
implementation, you'll only have 3 spindles going as Mirrored drives will
hardly be used.  Really if you put the swap and vmswap on the Raid 1, it'll
only be used when the system is heavily taxed.  With Raid 10, you'll
consistently have 6 spindles running which will lead to overall better
performance.

Maybe it's me, but I like to have optimal running servers; especially when
it doesn't cost anything more to do so.

Try a couple different configurations, run some benchmarks and see what
works best for your given workloads.

Joe

  _____