[THIN] Re: OT: VMWare backups

  • From: "Matthew Shrewsbury" <MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:50:04 -0500

I don't know if this is a dead topic (just now had a chance to read the
list) and I actually just went through this. I looked very carefully at
vRanger and Veeam. I ran both products and found Veeam to be much more
reliable (vRanger kept failing) and the Veeam product was cheaper, more
capable (much faster file level restores) and much easier to use
interface.

ESX 3.5 update 2 supports VSS with their VMware agent tools and can be
executed from vRanger or Veeam. Another key difference between vRanger
and Veeam is I schedule a shutdown of a VM and then backup it up for
older databases that don't support VSS. vRanger wouldn't snap the VM so
that it could then be started right back up. When using vRanger it
locked the files and the VM would fail to start unless the backup was
finished. Veeam created a snapshot and always backed up the snapshot if
the VM was running or not. I did hear from vRanger (who had very good
technical support) that version 4 is going to be released in Q1 '08 will
address most of the issues I had with their product.

Matthew Shrewsbury
Director of Information Technology

Coscan Homes, LLC
5555 Anglers Avenue, Suite 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
mshrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.coscanhomes.com
Phone: 954-558-0198
Fax: (954)-620-1001

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If you
are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments
thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please immediately notify me at 954-558-0198 and permanently delete the
original, including any attachments thereto, and any copy or printout thereof.