[THIN] Re: OT: Question for Trend A/V users

  • From: Steve Snyder <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:09:37 +1200

We use McAfee on about 1600 desktops with epo - it's truly the most
pervasive virus I've ever seen. On the client it is a major cpu hog, causes
lots of apps to run funny including ica client v9 (greg can shed more light
on this), there's a known issue with crapping out the search function on
2000/xp (maybe they'll fix it some day), in short, it chokes your PC into
lethargy just like a virus would. I'd dump it in a heartbeat for Symantec or
Trend if I was allowed to. I've heard reports that McAfee eats chldren too,
but I've yet to confirm those.

I've always had decent luck deploying both trend and symantec - it's been a
couple of years since I've used them but back then Symantec gave you much
more granular control over the clients than Trend did. Both behaved well on
the client. Symentec was easier to push out, Trend had to be installed at
the desktop (remember, that was a couple of years ago, it may be different
now).

As an alternative, some people like CA eTrust, but I've no clue as to what
the centralized management is like. Considering that they sell Unicenter,
you'd think that they have it covered.