[THIN] Re: OT: OT: What's the biggest problem you deal with?

  • From: Corné Bogaarts <c.bogaarts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:35:22 +0100

Windows 2000 doesn't need a reboot (neither Server, nor Professional), however
the applications do. And since you're running 'client apps' like MS Office,
etc. on a
server, you have to reboot the server. That's the main difference between a
Win2K TS and Win2K on almost any other server.

Most developers simply assume they're programming for a PC that is shutdown
every night, so why should they bother about memory-leaks and longterm stablity.

My 2 cts.

13-2-2004 20:44:46, "Spencer Sun" <ssun@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On a side note, I was wondering how many of you have a reboot schedule
>enable on your Metaframe farm.  What OS and the how often you reboot.  IF
>you stagger the reboots in different parts of the farm, etc.
>
>I've a client who absolutely refuses to schedule reboots on the farm, They
>have Windows 2000 farm and firmly believe that Windows 2000 does NOT require
>reboots.  I believe that part of the problem is that they do not want
>unattended reboots, as they are afraid servers will not come back up.  Seems
>kinda funky to me, but I wanted to get a feel for what the rest of the
>communicty is doing.
>
>Thanks
>
>Spencer

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html