[THIN] Re: OT: Microsoft Certified Architect Program

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:46:07 -0700 (PDT)

Yeppers..keep reading the thread..like I said, I worked on PDP11's at NASA back
then. Then Dec came out with something called the Microvax I and II. Big 14
inch square circuit boards to plug in.
  Here if my NASA story on PDP11's. At the time I was working for Bendix Field
engineering on the computer contract at NASA Lewis.  We were sent out to one of
the facilities to remove two PDP11's for replacement with a Microvax.  Now to
make this story funny you need to know that the company who had the contract
for like 10 years continuously before Bendix was called Mercury International.
Whenever we would show up someplace we would always be asked if we were from
Mercury and of course always say yes, cause the NASA fogeys new no better. Well
my coworker and I got all dressed up in our jumpsuits so we didn't get our
clothes dirty removing the equipment and showed up at this facility to remove
the equipment.

  The NASA fogey at security stopped us and asked if we were from Mercury and
we said yes.  He told us to go right through that door....well we did and
walked through and found we had just been sent through a gigantic Mercury spill!
  Apparently they were expecting a hazmat team there at the same time to clean
up the spill and us in our jumpsuits made the Nasa fogey think we were the
team.

  My coworker was really pissed off but I about died laughing.  The 4 hours of
detox though and getting sprayed off by the hazmat guys wasn't pleasant.  Damn
funny story I got out of it though.

  Jim

Rick Mack <Rick.> wrote:
  Hi Nick,

That's a challenge I can't resist.

At least we're not upside down ;-)

Let's see... it'd be about '76 or '77

Ever seen the Digital PDP8 word processor? A vt55 terminal, dual 8 inch
floppies, a whopping 8 (or was it 16?) MB of RAM. Or the Digital PDP 11/34 with
the switch front panel, where you toggled in the boot code in octal?

Them was real computers :-)

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack