[THIN] Re: OT: Microsoft Certified Architect Program

  • From: "Douglas A. Brown" <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:37:02 -0400

Oh man, I remember them... I use to program on an Alpha Micro System
(http://www.alphamicroproducts.com ) back in the early 80s)  and I will
save my programs on them.. wow, that is cool...

Things that make you feel old

1.        8" floppies

2.       Backing up data onto video cassettes

3.       10MB - 20MB drives

4.       EGA Wonder being the coolest video card around

5.       TeleVideo Terminals (not thin clients)

6.       1200 Baud modems being the fastest thing in the world

7.       The days when you called "application" a "program" and a
"developer" was called a "programmer"...

8.       When a portable computer weighted 20 pounds  (Kaypro)

9.       Infocom games (Zork, Spellbound, and my favorite, Deadlock)

10.   When being a "webmaster" was called a "sysop"

Oh, I love the way it is now days but I really miss those days.. they
were fun.. new and the sky was the limit.  I remember learning assembly
language so I could write I/O calls that showed up on the screen
immediately  vs. waiting a second for a print / printf command... those
were the days... they really were...  I miss them... I really do...

DB

Douglas A. Brown

President and Chief Technology Officer

Microsoft MVP, Windows Server