[THIN] Re: OT: Effect of Solid State drives

tigi has some whitepapers on the topic (as well as solid-state drives of
course).

http://www.tigicorp.com/

On 6/7/07, M <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Interesting (as usual ) post from Rick. I did some searching but couldnt
find too much myself.
The drives are very cheap..ish though 170 quid for 16GB

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=558789&source=froogle

According to the specs
• Super-low operating and standby power needs
• Extends battery life up to 10%
• No moving parts to fail
• Greater resistance to shock & vibration
• Operates in extreme temperatures (-20° to 80°C)
• No spin up
• No seek time
• No rotational latency
• Sustained high-speed data transfers
• 56MB/s read, 32MB/s write speeds
• Can cut boot-up time in half
• Noise free
• Virtually no heat emissions
• Less than half the weight of conventional hard drive

In an energy conscious world they sound ideal

The 15K SAS drives are already out. I have been trialling them with Quad
Core HP Blades for a few months now. Cant find any major performance
difference between them and our Blades with 15K u320's