[THIN] Re: OT: Backup software survey

  • From: Jeremy Thomas <jeremy.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:14:12 +0200

It depends on what you have to back up.

If you have a small environment (up to 200Gb?), Arcserve or BackupExec work
OK. Personally, I tend to steer away from CA products because the support
options are poor, and other CA products like RCO & some of the Unicentre
tools just do not work with Terminal Servers due to the way they are
written. I've known people who've used BackupExec and have been happier with
it than with Arcserve.

For larger environments, Tivoli Storage Manager or Legato Networker make a
much better choice.

It also depends on the degree of automation that you want. You can keep
things "small and manageable" by putting a backup device in each server and
changing the tapes each day, or by grouping servers and using a tape
library. But you increase your support costs, and you need a team of
operators to go and change the tapes every day.

TSM and Legato are enterprise solutions, so you need to look at lot closer
at design, scalability, cost, etc. You need a lot more expertise to set them
up in the first place, and they cost more.

The important thing you need to consider is your overall disaster recovery
and backup strategy. What happens if you loose 1 / 2 / many servers, or the
SAN, or you need to recover all data in the case of a computer room fire, or
you have regular requests for file restores from users and have SLAs to
meet. That's when the wrong strategy will start costing you a fortune, by
which time it's too late...

Regards,

Jeremy Thomas

  _____