From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Greg Reese
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:45 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: OT: Backup Software

I think Microsoft's Data Protection manager look interesting.  I also
think Amanda backup looks like something worth trying.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Looking for opinions on SMB backup solutions.  My past 5 1/5
years of
        backup experience are with CommVault, but I think it's going to
be too
        pricey and complex for the environment.  Prior to CommVault, I
used
        ARCServe, but I think it was v8 or 9, and it's now up to 12.

        I have a few calls lined up to go over ARCServe and Backup
        Exec/NetBackup. Does anyone have suggestions on other products
to look
        at?  The environment consists of a couple physical Windows
Server boxes,
        a bunch of virtual Windows Boxes running on VMware.  Something
that
        works with VCB would be nice.  The Tape drive in use is a LAN or
FC
        connected LTO3 library. I also have 2 Apple Xserve RAID arrays
which are
        FC connected SCSI arrays (they present as LUNs to VMware) and I
am
        hosting VM's on the Xserve RAIDs on those LUNs.  All actual file
storage
        is done inside of a Windows VM.

        http://www.freelists.org/list/thin
        NEW! Follow Thin List on Twitter!