[THIN] Re: OT: A/V for enterprise environments - again

  • From: "Pardee, Michael P." <MPardee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:57:45 -0400

Very good answer.  Jumping in here, we have used McAfee for what seems like
forever.

We have always suspected that AV was one of the culprits stopping us from
getting more users on a server.  We had some issues with McAfee and had to
remove it from a server to do some troubleshooting.  A server that struggled
to support 60 users suddenly was able to handle 90.  That seemed strange to
us so we tried it with a different server and saw similar results.  This was
still in the NT4 world though and we haven not tried that test on
Windows2003.  That is coming.

We have had strange cluster issues that we have been working on with
Microsoft for months.  They keep running out of Page Pool memory.  Recently
we found that we had the exact same cluster issue with a brand new cluster
with very little activity on it running the latest and greatest from McAfee
(8.x).  We opened another case with McAfee last night and they told us this
issue is resolved in Patch 10 and we applied it last night.

So, now we're watching and monitoring everything to see if the patch makes
any difference.  If not, I am comfortable looking for other solutions since
we gave this one years to get resolved.  I have heard great things about
Trend and with a recent acquisition we now have access to it for testing.
The first place I intend to try it is on a Citrix server to see if there is
any difference in resource utilization.

What seems to be true is not every product works perfectly for everyone.
While many will jump in and say McAfee has been perfect for them, just as
many will probably say it was a disaster.  It comes down to what works best
for your environment since you are ultimately responsible for it.

  _____