[THIN] Re: OST Files

  • From: Mario Nicoletatos <muray_n@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:34:46 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks guys for the opinions

Let me explain what Im up against
I work for a Broadband Company who does not really understand Citrix
Server Farm in the Netherlands.......affiliates around Europe
So everytime they accuire a company they go and  throw out all their hardware
and replace it all new, put in exhange server,sms etc
I have suggested we keave there local infurstructure intact and give them our
services over Citrix.
The response was what will users do if they were working on a train using
outlook (no internet connection).........how will they syn back to there
mailbox (there will be no local Exchange server, only via Citrix which will be
based in the Netherlands)
(I have a very small group who dont like Citrix, hence the painful questions)

I said give the users UMTS PCIMA cards and there is no issue

Thanks to your comment I have a few things to check out with the exchange guys

Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I only have a small number of mobile uses on Citrix.  Prior to this, they used
Outlook 2003 with RPC over HTTP (as I use for every fat client outside my
corporate office).  RPC over HTTP, when combined with cached mode, is almost as
good, if not better at times, then using Citrix (in my opinion).  With cached
mode, there is no delay in opening e-mails, but without it, there is delay
based on bandwith.  Cached mode means your e-mail is delayed slightly for
incoming/outgoing, but we're talking < 1 minute even in the worst case
scenarios from my experience.

Now, having said that, I tell my mobile uses that use Citrix to never use their
local Outlook.  Ok, so there are a few times we tell them they might want to
use it, primarily if they are on an airplane, or need to lookup info.  This is
still an issue, because, if they never open it to let their cache update, the
info they may be looking for is not there.

In reality, of the few mobile users I have, only 1 or 2 of them would even use
their laptop in an offline mode for Outlook.  Those 1 or 2 people are smart
enough to understand that they need to let their local Outlook update the
cache, and if they compose mail in it when offline, they need to let it send
that mail when they get a connection again.

What's my point?  I think you'll find that if you got the straight and narrow
out of your mobile users, you'll find 99% of them don't use their e-mail when
they don't have an internet connection, thus they don't take advantage of an
offline/cached mode in the first place, and it's not an issue.