[THIN] Re: OFF TOPIC - about Name Servers

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:48:18 +0100

Well yeah - there's no end to the odd things asked... ;-)

> I guess if I moved my DNS from one server to the other and I
> wanted to see if that server was authoritative (if I didn't
> already know nslookup would tell you non-authoritative
> answer, or authoritative answer)

Then you'd use nslookup and query the zone - either for SOA or NS.
Because, DNS is the repository that actually stores whether a particular
nameserver is *authoritative*.

> ... I would want to display
> a list of all the zones. Probably not likely, but hey.

Why? That's a subtly different question. Surely that's not truly the
answer you want? Didn't you want to know if a particular server was
authoritative for a zone, rather than all the things it was
authoritative for(and / or hosting)?

You started by saying you moved a DNS zone, then wanted to find out if
where it moved to, was authoritative - as opposed to *all* the things it
was authoritative for. And lets not forget - merely listing the zones a
DNS server serves, does not mean it is authoritative for those zones -
you need to query DNS to find that out.

> We were talking about two different things it seems like. I
> wanted a list of all zones (an external form of the dnscmd
> use, if you will)...

Tells you nothing, really, though. They could merely be secondary or
caching zones. Doesn't mean a server is authoritative, merely that it's
hosting.

> you wanted a list of all resource
> records within a particular zone.

*I* didn't ;-)

Somebody else actually wanted the info. The resource records are key,
though, to understanding the roles of the DNS servers for the relevant
zones.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.