[THIN] Re: Novell Integration (MetaDirectory)

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:11:45 -0500

Well the long and short is that most clients really DON'T need it even
though they think they do. Most people assume metadirectory will solve
all woes and it wont. If they TRULY use then it is smooth. Single point
for adding users and provisioning etc. The problem is that everything
has to be tied to it. You use it to Push to AD, or anything else that
requires the users. Synchs in multiple directions are terrible. Using a
single authoritative source then pushing from that to your domain is
great. Of course using this authoritative source for authentication
within apps and what not is even better. But since most apps aren't
happy without their own authentication you wind up synching/pushing to
AD and novell and a ton of other systems.

The MS product isn't bad (I mean they bought it from someone else
anyway) and the Sun product is even better as a pure directory. I don't
do a whole lot with either of them mostly I work on the windows and
network side of those projects, but I am in enough design meeting for
them to answer most questions.

Anything specific?

Ron Oglesby

Senior Technical Architect