[THIN] Re: Newbie Questions

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:19:49 -0500

>Well everyone is really missing the point as to why they should be simply
>cheesed off by this post as I am.  LOOK AT THE SUBJECT Line.  Mr. Asim is by
>far not a newbie...therefore he is clearly a liar and attempting to ruse the
>list to obtain information to further his career and for his own personal
>gain.

Jim,

Frankly, those are exactly the things I use this list for, also. One the one
hand I'm trying to solve problems for my employer, but at the same time I'm
doing it to enrich my own knowledge base. Hopefully, by answering some of the
questions that come up I have given back in return, so perhaps that
differentiates my participation from Mr. Khan's.

Now, as for the questions and personage that began this tempest in a teapot. I
don't see any questions there that sound out of character for, as Mr. Khan
claims to be, an MBA student trying to do some research on how people in the
industry feel about thin client computing. Now, a lot of the information being
asked for can perhaps be obtained by scanning various Gartner reports or
industry magazines, but I don't think it's out of line to poll the membership
here for that information either (unless that's against list guidelines, in
which case I chastise Mr. Khan for either wilfully ignoring them or being
ignorant of them!). I can't tell from what he's posted as to whether he is a
newbie or not (he certainly knows some of the vocabulary and business issues I
suppose), so I can't judge his trustworthiness as to the subject line. I admit
I am not the most discrening person, so it's probable that I've just missed
something that's an obvious red flag to many of you more experienced folk.

I guess I don't see what the problem is. Jim, thanks to you and the other
members of this list, this is one of the most high-content, civil, and useful
lists I've ever been a part of. Because there are so very few posts of the kind
Mr. Khan initiated, this one seems to stick out like a sore thumb for some,
although again I can't see anything out of the ordinary.
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2