[THIN] Need help on consolidating servers

  • From: "Steven Mather" <smather@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:33:23 -0500

First, I know just enough about 2000 Advanced to be extremely dangerous.  I
have a rack of servers where I have split out the different machines as web
server, mail server, data server, etc. This is my home setup. I am retired
from the profession due to a disability. First, I am not hosting any
mem/data intensive things so I am way underutilizing the servers. Secondly,
I am killing my electric bill and my wife is figuring out how to get me to
eat rat poison. Sooo, I need to consolidate. I am not worried about load
because everything I have, except PDC, is a Dual Xeon P4 and are mirrored.
My ideal goal would be to bring everything down to one server for now and
just max out the memory.  Like I said at the beginning, server admin. is not
my thing so be patient with me.

My question(s)
1) Can a machine that I set up as a PDC act as another type of server (i.e.
data, web, app, etc.). I am not sure if once you make something a PDC (also
my enterprise CA) that I cannot use it as an IIS, SQL, etc. server. Am I
wrong?

2) This is a stupid one and I was just wondering if technology has fixed
this. I know I can set up a machine to dual boot but can I set up a machine
to run 2 OS's concurrently (e.g. at the same time). For instance, can I
have, on one box, Server 2000 and XP running in different memory segments at
the same time so I can be writing a doc in XP and Advanced Server 2000 is
still hosting web and mail? My understanding is the answer is 'no', but I
have been on disability for over two years now and something might have come
along to address this issue. I like to use XP for my personal desktop and
applications.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I will sacrifice a small furry animal
on the next full moon in your honor.

(Graphics not supported)
Steven Mather
smather@xxxxxxxxxxx