[THIN] Re: .NET and Citrix

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:23:24 -0500

Chad,

One opinion.

You can consider .NET as orthogonal to the Thin/Fat client model.

Applications written in .NET *can* work as server originated content that
can execute on the server or on the desktop (or both).  But they also can be
traditional install like packages, which may be placed on a server or
desktop.  I don't see the major applications that you use today being
re-written anytime soon (if at all) to use a server oriented content model.

Take Office, for example.  I am sure it will get a .NET label, and that
would include XML interfaces up the wazoo, but it still in going to run on
either a desktop or a TS.  The Thin model will still apply -- and
potentially apply even better.

Why?  One example is security.  All that open XML interfacing it will do.
If you contain use of it into known, well secure environments, you are
better off.  Take a remote laptop user in a hotel.  If you stay with TS you
only have to open up and secure ICA to the internet.  Put the App on the
laptop and you have a host of things to let into your building.  Maybe you
can hide and secure that with VPN, but I feel safer with a small known whole
that I can monitor.

tim
Timothy R. Mangan
Founder TMurgent Technologies