[THIN] Re: .NET and Citrix

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:29:38 +1100

Hi,

Windows server 2003 is going to hurt Citrix at the low end.

The RDP client capabilities are right up there with the ICA client, with the
exception of the high latency capabilities. Virtual cahannels, the lot. No
published apps (yet), no direct nfuse equivalent (yet) without using an
third party product (at extra cost).

Provided you buy the Server 2003 Enterprise edition (costs extra), you can
have load balancing into a farm, together with reconnection to a
disconnected session on the farm etc.

However the session directory (compare to ICA master browser) has no
redundancy (use dedicated session directory).

Will it displace Citrix in the corporate area. Probably not if Citrix keep
up their value-add.

Is it a much better platform for Metaframe? Absolutely. Per-user file
associations, application security that works, ban kernel-mode printer
drivers etc.

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack