[THIN] Re: Microsoft buys SSL VPN Company.....

  • From: "Douglas A. Brown" <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 17:00:15 -0400

Yes, I agree... here is a bit more info from a WS firm covering
Citrix... sort of interesting and gives more insight in to Microsoft's
purchase. .

Microsoft announced the acquisition of Whale Communications, a privately
held Israeli company that provides SSL VPN and Web application firewall
products, for $75 million. The company's Intelligent Application Gateway
is based on a Windows platform and provides SSL VPN, endpoint security,
and application security capabilities. Gartner estimates that Whale
generated approximately $13.4 million in SSL VPN appliance revenue in
2005.

Windows Platform Limits Potential Impact. Whale's products are built on
Windows Server 2003, and many organizations do not install
Microsoft-based solutions in their networks' DMZs due to security
issues. We believe that this issue will limit the potential end market
for Whale's product even if the technology is owned by Microsoft. As an
example of the restriction of Windows-based solutions, Citrix Systems'
MetaFrame Secure Access Manager (MSAM) solution, which was the company's
SSL offering prior to its acquisition of Net6, experienced limited
acceptance partially due to its deployment on the Windows platform.
Conversely, the Citrix Access Gateway appliance acquired from Net6 is
Linux-based, and data points from our conversations with the channel
lead us to believe that the Linux-based CAG appliance has reopened many
markets that were "closed" for MSAM because of the Windows restrictions.

Why Did Microsoft Buy Whale? Whale has developed special optimizations
for high-value applications, including SharePoint, Domino, and Outlook
Web Access. In fact, Microsoft and Whale had already partnered to
provide Intelligent Application Gateway - ISA Edition to combine IPSec
VPN, SSL VPN, endpoint security, and application security. Microsoft
currently relies on hardware partners for the deployment of ISA Server
(including HP and Network Engines) and, as such, may discontinue the
Whale appliance. While this combined solution may be attractive to
Windows-based enterprises, we believe that the addressable market is
somewhat limited, and we expect minimal impact on the overall SSL VPN
market.

Outlook. We have been encouraged by Citrix's expanding product portfolio
with the acquisitions of Net6, NetScaler, and Reflectent and the
introductions of Access Essential and Project Tarpon, as we believe that
this expanding product set positions Citrix to redefine the company from
just "the MetaFrame guys" to a broader access solutions vendor. With the
combination of the product cycle potential of PS4 and strong new product
traction, we reiterate our Outperform rating and our target price of
$48.

Douglas A. Brown

President and Chief Technology Officer

Microsoft MVP, Windows Server

DABCC, Inc.

Phone:     (954) 778-9558

Fax:         (248) 479-0621

E-mail:       dbrown@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>

Web:        http://www.dabcc.com <http://www.dabcc.com/>

________________________________

        From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        With CAG 4.2 you can actually use the same Citrix license server
you use for Presentation Server if you want to. In this case, it is the
standard netbios name of the server, i.e. just the machine name (you can
type hostname at the command line to see this)

        Alternately, you can upload the license file into the CAG box
itself. In that case you use the value entered is in the filed called
"FQDN" on the network setup screen. When doing this the licenses, and
the cert by the way, are included in the backup file so be sure to save
off the config, this could save you a lot of work if you ever have a
hardware failure or have to rebuild the boxes.

        If you already have a Citrix licensing server I recommend using
it when you have more than one CAG.

        Also note that the when you fulfill your license file from
www.mycitrix.com <http://www.mycitrix.com/>  you do have to provide the
license server hostname. However, these licenses can be returned and
reallocated to a different hostname if needed.

        Regards,

        Steve Greenberg

        Thin Client Computing

        34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453

        Scottsdale, AZ 85262

        (602) 432-8649

        www.thinclient.net

        steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                From: "M" <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:39:10 +0000

                        Mind expanding upon the enterprise deployment
components ?

                        Are you doubling things up for failover ?
Seperate AAC components ?

                        Using Netscaler ?