[THIN] Re: Microsoft buys SSL VPN Company.....

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:58:16 -0700

Whoa!  Slow down.... Roaming profile issues are over?  Microsoft has yet to
get roaming profiles right.  Adding softgid on top of this only complicates
the issue....  While Softgrid 4.0 promises to be better for profile
management than 3.0,  it is still far cry from what it should/could be.

Joe

On 5/19/06, Douglas A. Brown <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve,

I agree with you…  I've been thinking a lot about this….  I think it is
this simple; there will come a day when you buy Office 12 and you will
receive it as a virtualized app.  All you will need to do is drop it on a
system and issues around app conflict are over…  the roaming profile issues
are over… then extend that to services and everything works together but
does not conflict.    That is what I think will happen…  I have a GOOD "*
feeling*" about this too…it will happen with the Vista client…  Then think
VS.NET 2007 will compile a sequenced version or something like that…
Forger .msi… and setup.exe… think virtualized applications… It only makes
sense….  It will just be built in… then someday apps like Citrix, and it is
really an app after all, will be vitalized also… everything will be…
everything….  They will all work in a SECURE / ISSOLATED bubble…

Then Citrix will be left to do what is was designed to do, overcome remote
issues and deploy any, any, any, any… it will just not have to deal with
conflicts and heck that is the big problem we have…      So, the only way it
hurts Citrix is Tarpon, its dead for Vista and it will have to compete with
SMS for older versions of Windows…  The best thing Citrix can do is table
Tarpon and partner with Microsoft to promote the NEW way of app
deployment….   Oh, I would think with this way of computing then you would
only use Citrix for remote computing and you would use the virtualized apps
for workstation computing.  The beauty of it is that if you designed it
right then a user can roam for workstation to citrix/ts back to workstation
and never loose a setting or access to data…  that will cut in to Citrix
idea that ALL apps should be deployed to the workstation via Citrix.  I
don't believe that anymore.. this is a better way to deploy for LAN
workstations…

Thoughts?

DB

*Douglas A. Brown*

*President and Chief Technology Officer *

Microsoft MVP, Windows Server

* *

DABCC, Inc.

Phone:     (954) 778-9558

Fax:         (248) 479-0621

E-mail:       dbrown@xxxxxxxxx

Web:        http://www.dabcc.com

------------------------------

From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

With CAG 4.2 you can actually use the same Citrix license server you use
for Presentation Server if you want to. In this case, it is the standard
netbios name of the server, i.e. just the machine name (you can type
hostname at the command line to see this)

Alternately, you can upload the license file into the CAG box itself. In
that case you use the value entered is in the filed called "FQDN" on the
network setup screen. When doing this the licenses, and the cert by the way,
are included in the backup file so be sure to save off the config, this
could save you a lot of work if you ever have a hardware failure or have to
rebuild the boxes.

If you already have a Citrix licensing server I recommend using it when
you have more than one CAG.

Also note that the when you fulfill your license file from
www.mycitrix.com you do have to provide the license server hostname.
However, these licenses can be returned and reallocated to a different
hostname if needed.

Regards,

Steve Greenberg

Thin Client Computing

34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453

Scottsdale, AZ 85262

(602) 432-8649

www.thinclient.net

steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: "M" <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:39:10 +0000

 Mind expanding upon the enterprise deployment components ?

Are you doubling things up for failover ? Seperate AAC components ?

Using Netscaler ?