[THIN] Re: MS licensing

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:13:37 -0700

Pretty much what I thought.  I knew about w2k3 being able to dole out w2k
licenses.  It's how I do it now.  I was hoping I could get away with using
w2k3 licenses on my w2k servers.  We just renewed our EA and there are
licensing changes afoot for us.    It would be easier for me to just
install w2k3 cals.  Oh well, far be it for Microsoft to make it easy for
us.

adam

             Richard Dietzman
             <boomvader@yahoo.
             Sent by:                  thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             thin-bounce@freel                                          cc
             ists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: MS licensing
             09/26/2005 02:42
             PM

             Please respond to
             thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Adam,

Read my answers below:

--- Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Quick questions for you gurus.
>
> Can a W2k3 license server hand out licenses for w2k
> TS servers with only
> w2k3 CALs installed?  In other words, if I build a
> new license server and
> only install W2k3 TS CALs, can I still access my W2K
> TS servers?

The short answer is no.  But, it is still possible to
dole out 2k TSCals with a 2k3 server.  There are 3
different types of licenses that will allow you to do
that.  They are:

Windows 2000 TS CALs, Windows 2000 TS Internet
Connector Licenses.  Windows 2000 Built-in Licenses.

> 2nd question:  what happens to old licenses?  Is
> there a built-in scavenge
> function that returns licenses not used in X days
> back to the pool?  If so,
> does it work on both Per User and Per Device?

Yes, a TS CAL is granted with an expiration date
randomly selected between 52 & 89 days from the
current date.

Hope this helps.

-Richie

http://mail.yahoo.com
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2