[THIN] Re: M$ Apps Licensing - latest consensus?

  • From: Jez <jezosaurus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:41:56 +0100

Well it depends on wether you have per user or per device licensing on that
particular application, and it depends on wether those licenses are
concurrent.

As far as MS office products go, they tend to be licensed per user -> you
can install a copy on a TS, a laptop and a home PC, and they are all covered
by 1 user license. You need that license for each user => it is pointless
restricting the app to a limited number of devices. Also, if just 1 user on
a TS used all of MS Office Professional and all the others only use the Word
componemt, all users need to be licensed for MS Office Pro - you can't have
the others just running on a Word license.

You should find that if you ask the question consistently, you will get a
consistent answer from MS, but there are many options, and there can be a
certain art to how you ask the question in the first place.

> do I really need a license for every device that can connect to the farm
Depends on the app, but it should be per user, not per device.

> can I buy five licenses and restrict the published app to 5 concurrent
connections?
No.