[THIN] Re: Lines crossed

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 05:40:30 +1000

Hi Gunnar,

If a user is getting someone else email, for example using outlook against an
exchange server, they not only have to have the same outlook profile
(connection info etc) but they have to pass the right credentials to view the
email. So it's not just as simple as a user getting a mixed profile, they's
have to have the same username and password as well which as you comment would
be a major problem.

I'd be real curious if this was happening, because its then not just an issue
of profile cross-contaimination but something much more interesting.

Get the 2 user's SIDs (only interested in the last set of numbers) and when
this problem happens, check the HKEY_USERS\%userSID% key on the server hosting
the user session. I can email you a little app that'll give you user SIDs.

The first thing to check is access permissions and ownership on the relevant
SID (HKEY_USERS\%userSID%). Does it correspond to the right user. Then check
the outlook profile (%userSID%\Software\Microsoft\WIndows
NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\%outlookprofilename%), .
If you look at the first few subkeys you'll see the user's exchange connection
parameters, which should match the user (but in this scenario may not).

What you do from there will depnd on what you find.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems